Sunday, August 28, 2011

New Information Revealed in Slovakian Record

Earlier this year I began trying to find further information for my Engel family.   At first I focused primarily on passenger lists and immigration records for my great great grandparents, Dora Fleckman and Samuel Engel.  Below is a photograph of them on a ship with the Statue of Liberty in the background.
Engel12.5
I knew that they had gotten married in 1887 in Hungary (now Slovakia) and had a son, Adolf, in January 1888.  After many fruitless searches I decided to peruse the databases on JewishGen for Engels and Fleckmans in the hopes that I’d find a clue.  Then it occurred to me to look for Adolf’s birth records or his immigration. 


Then I found this translation of Jewish Vital Records from Hungary on JewishGen.
Name ENGEL, Adolf
Date of Birth 15-Jan-1888
Sex M
Father Hirsch / Samuel
Mother Dora FLEKMAN
Town Registered / Record # Jaras Megye Eperjes / 53-04  Local Gov’t Saros
Town Born Eperjes
Comments Father b. Hethars [Lipany] / Mother b. Sebes-Kellemes [Sarisske Luky]
Source (Film/Item) LDS 1793514, Vol. 3
Such an exciting discovery!   I am planning on requesting the original microfilm from the local Family History Center so that I can see if there is more information than what they have translated.  Regardless, this is a great find and opens up all kinds of new places to look.  I plan on looking at further records for that area and also renewing efforts to find the records for their passage to America.  My journey continues!
Places of Note in Slovakia
Image

No comments: